What is an Assisted Living Facility?
Assisted living facilities provide individualized health and personal care assistance in a homelike setting with an emphasis on personal dignity, autonomy, independence and privacy. Facilities can be large apartment-like settings or private residences. Services include meals, bathing, dressing, toileting and administering or supervising medication.
Texas Health and Human Services licenses assisted living facilities based on residents' physical and mental ability to evacuate the facility in an emergency and whether nighttime attendance is necessary.
- A Type A facility cares for residents who do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and are capable of following directions in an emergency.
- A Type B facility is for residents who require staff assistance to evacuate, are not capable of following directions in an emergency and require nighttime attendance.
The Assisted Living Facility Information brochure (PDF) explains the variety of assisted living facilities available in Texas, who they care for, and the services they provide. Assisted living facilities are regulated under Health and Safety Code, Chapter 247 and Texas Administrative Code(TAC), Title 26, Part I, Chapter 553.
- COVID-19 Response Plans for ALFs (PDF)
- ALF COVID-19 Response Expansion of Reopening Visitation Emergency Rule (PDF)
- ALF COVID-19 Response Emergency Rule (PDF)
- HHSC released emergency rules related to COVID-19 for LTCR Providers (PDF).
- HHSC is providing assisted living facility providers with regularly updated Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 (PDF).
- September 23, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
- September 16, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
- September 9, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
- September 3, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
- August 26, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
- August 19, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
- August 12, 2020 – ALF COVID-19 Q&A Webinar Slides (PDF)
Contact Program Staff
Directory and Regulation Tags
Statutes & Rules
Other Rules and Statutes
- Contracting information: 512-438-2080
- Contract Oversight: Community Services Contracts Unit Manager
- Licensing and certification: 512-438-2630
- Policy Information: 512-438-3161 / PolicyRulesTraining@hhsc.state.tx.us
- Regional nurses: Community Services regional contacts for your region
- Regulatory Services regional contacts
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 40, Part 1, Chapter 46: Contracting to Provide Assisted Living and Residential Care Services
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 26, Part 1, Chapter 553: Licensing Standards for Assisted Living Facilities
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 26, Part 1, Chapter 560: Criminal Convictions Barring Facility Licensure
- Texas Health and Safety Code, Title 4, Chapter 247: Assisted Living Facilities
- Texas Health and Safety Code, Title 4, Chapter 250: Nurse Aide Registry and Criminal History Checks of Employees and Applicants for Employment in Certain Facilities Serving the Elderly or Persons with Disabilities