Report abuse of people who live in long-term care facilities.
Protecting Texans is the core of what Texas Health and Human Services does. Our efforts cover a variety of areas from monitoring child care providers, advocating for children, helping people affected by human trafficking and helping Texans recover from disasters.
Report abuse of children and people who live in their community.
- The Children's Advocacy Centers of Texas is the statewide membership association for children's advocacy centers in the state. Founded in 1994, CACTX currently includes 70 developing and established centers in both large, urban cities and in small, rural communities. Their mission is to restore the lives of abused children by supporting CACs in partnership with local communities and agencies investigating and prosecuting child abuse.
- HHS has programs in place with the best interests of the child and parent in mind when it comes to child care operations across Texas.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates Inc. is the statewide organization for volunteer advocate programs. Texas CASA and its 72 local programs ensure that every child has an advocate to speak for his or her best interest before the courts. The advocate is a caring adult, trained to help a child through this difficult period in life. Their mission is to support local CASA volunteer advocacy programs and to advocate for effective public policy for children in the child protection system. For more information on Texas CASA and becoming a CASA volunteer, visit the CASA website.
- The Disaster Assistance Program works with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to offer housing and other assistance in the event of a federally declared disaster.
- Family Violence Program promotes self-sufficiency, safety, and long-term independence of adult victims of family violence, child victims of family violence, and victims of teen dating violence. The program provides emergency shelter and support services to victims and their children, educates the public, and provides training, and prevention support to various agencies.
- The Repatriation Program helps U.S. citizens and their family member who must leave a foreign country due to a crisis. You must be approved for this program by the U.S. Department of State.
- The Texas Human Trafficking Resource Center is a statewide directory connecting HHS staff, healthcare providers, stakeholders and potential victims of human trafficking to local, state and national resources to identify and help people affected by human trafficking.
- Twogether in Texas is an educational program to help engaged couples learn communication and conflict management skills as well as other key aspects of marriage. Those who complete the eight-hour course get a certificate for a $60 discount on their marriage license.