Financial assistance to purchase hearing aids may be available from a variety of sources for children who get Medicaid, older Texans and people who are looking for employment.

Who Can Get Help?


  • Active duty military family members: People who meet specific hearing-loss requirements will be eligible to receive hearing aids, including services and supplies, as a TRICARE benefit. For more information, visit the TRICARE website at or call the TRICARE Regional Office 877-874-2273, 800-444-5445 or 888-874-9378. Overseas beneficiaries may call 1-888-777-8343.
  • Veteran's Administration: Veterans who have at least a 10 percent service-connected disability (any disability, not just hearing loss) the VA can provide hearing aids and other assistive devices.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation: The Texas Workforce Commission may provide hearing aids and assistive devices for qualifying adults who want to maintain current employment or who are seeking employment. Call 512-424-4060 and ask to be referred office nearest you. Or look in blue or yellow pages for Texas Workforce Commission under state agencies.


  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP): Families can qualify if they earn up to 200 percent of poverty level, but must re-apply every 6 months. Call 800-647-6558 or visit
  • Medicaid: Children birth to 21 who are on Medicaid, can visit
  • Miracle Ear Children's Foundation: For children 16 and younger. To qualify, a family of 4 must have a gross income of $20,000-45,000, must be an U.S. citizen, and have a current audiogram and medical release. Call 800-234-5422.
  • Public schools: Schools may be responsible for services as part of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Contact Randi Turner to learn more about this option.

Older Texans

  • Area agency on aging (AAA): Call your local AAA at 888-622-9111 to see if they offer grants to help with hearing aid costs.
  • The Texas Health and Human Services Commission Independent Living (IL) program: This program may help older people who are not working and who have a disability. There may be a long waiting list. Call one of the following:
    • Amarillo: 806-353-7491
    • Austin: 512-491-8583
    • El Paso: 915-778-7714
    • Fort Worth: 817-923-5080
    • Houston: 713-521-1119
    • Irving: 972-254-9503
    • Lubbock: 806-747-1625
    • McAllen: 956-971-8655
    • San Antonio: 210-650-0943

People of All Ages

  • Local universities: University speech and hearing clinics may offer a sliding-scale fee and use graduate students to help keep costs down. Others may have a recycled hearing aid program.
  • Hear Now/Starkey Foundation: This national program donates new Starkey hearing aids if the hearing aid dispenser donates their services. While client income is considered, out-of-pocket medical expenses also are considered. There is an application process and a $100 per aid non-refundable application fee. The total household income is considered, not just the applicant's financial position. Call 800-648-4327 and press 1 for application or visit
  • Private health insurance: Check your private health insurance coverage.
  • Payment Plan: Need credit approval and must go to their list of providers. 877-354-8337 and push ext. #1 for application.
  • ESCO Help Card: Need credit approval and must go to their list of providers. 800-945-4357 or
  • Civic organizations: Check your local Lions, Kiwanis, Sertoma and other civic organizations to learn if there is a re-conditioned hearing aid (recycling) program in your community.
  • Assistive Listening Devices: An alternative to a hearing aid, retail from $100 to $180. These look like a 'walkman' radio. The person with hearing impairment wears headphones or an earbud and the person speaking uses a microphone. These are appropriate for one on one situations where the speaker is near the listener. They are also great for noisy situations. For more information, contact:
    • Audex at 800-237-0716 and ask about their Sound Director System
    • Williams Sound Company 800-843-3544 makes a Pocket Talker
    • Hitec makes the Sound Wizard, 800-288-8303


For possible local resources, or other help related to hearing loss, contact the DHHS Specialist in your area. To locate your DHHS Specialist contractor, go to You can then click to view a regional map and for the contact information. You can also call 512-407-3250 to ask for the nearest contractor.