Downloading a Form to Your Computer
Fillable forms cannot be viewed on mobile or tablet devices. Follow the steps below to download and view the form on a desktop PC or Mac.
- Right Click for PC or Ctrl + Click for Mac on the PDF link and click “Save link as” from the menu.
- Select the folder you want to save the file in and then click "Save."
- Navigate to the folder you saved the file in and Right Click for PC or Ctrl + Click for Mac, then select "Open With" from the menu and select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Note: Open the PDF file from your desktop or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Do not click on the downloaded file at the bottom of the browser since it will not open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It will try to open the file in the browser that results in the same browser error message.
If still having trouble viewing or downloading a form, click here.
- To provide verification of a TANF/food stamp recipient's need to be in the home to care for a disabled family member; and/or
- To provide information to the local workforce board regarding the individual's ability to participate in work or work activities.
When to Prepare
Texas Works advisors prepare Form H1836-B for:
- TANF/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients who are claiming an inability to work or participate in work activities because they are needed in the home to care for an incapacitated family member;
- TANF recipients who are applying for a hardship exemption, due to a disabling illness or injury of a family member during the state time limit five-year freeze-out period; or
- TANF recipients who are applying for an extended TANF hardship exemption, due to caring for a disabled family member during or after their 60th month of assistance.
Number of Copies
Prepare one copy.
The individual is responsible for taking Form H1836-B to a physician, physician's assistant (under physician's orders), advanced practice nurse, certified psychologist or a licensed osteopath. The medical provider completes the form and gives it to the client, mails it in a return envelope or faxes a copy to the advisor.
File a copy in the Medical section of the case record.
Refer to the Manager's Guide for Eligibility Programs.
Section I — The advisor completes identifying case information.
Section II — The medical provider completes Part A by checking one box under question 1, 2 or 3.
If question 2 is checked, the provider must indicate the number of hours per week the client is available for work or work activities.
The provider must complete Part B, sign, date and return the form to the local eligibility determination office.
Section III — The individual (or individual's personal representative) signs to authorize release of medical information to HHSC and the Texas Workforce Commission.
Patient's Name — Self-explanatory.
Authorization Release — Enter the name of the doctor, medical facility or other health care provider.
This authorization expires on — Enter "when benefits expire."
Signature — Individual or personal representative's signature.
Date — Enter the date the form is signed.
Personal Representative — Must be legally designated. Refer to Texas Works Handbook B-1200, Confidentiality, for definitions.
Describe Authority — Describe why the representative has the authority to represent the individual. Refer to Texas Works Handbook, Section B-1200.
Signature of Witnesses — The signatures of two witnesses are entered if required.
Date — Date witnesses signed the form.