What is OASIS?
Certified Home health agencies (HHAs) or those seeking initial certification under the Medicare conditions of participation are required to collect and encode (data enter) the Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS) items, which are part of the comprehensive assessment of patients. In addition, agencies must transmit OASIS information on Medicare and Medicaid patients within 30 days of completing the assessment.
Details of these requirements are published in the Federal Register dated Jan. 25, 1999, (64 FR 3748 and 64 FR 3764) and updated in the June 18, 1999, Federal Register (64 FR 32984) and Dec. 23, 2005, Federal Register/Vol. 70, No. 246 pp 76199 - 76208.
OASIS Training Opportunities
OASIS coordinators conduct OASIS classes throughout the state.
OASIS Test Transmission
In order to obtain Medicare certification, HHAs must submit a "test" submission to the national OASIS Assessment Submission and Processing (ASAP) system. Failure to do a test submission will delay the certification process. Information regarding the test transmission requirements can be found in Chapter 2, Section 2202.10 - OASIS and HHAs Seeking Initial Certification of the CMS State Operations Manual.
More information on the OASIS Test transmission required for Medicare Certification is available through the Reporting OASIS Information CBT.
Newsletter from the Texas OASIS Helpdesk
Documents are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
- CMS Home Health Spotlight and Announcements
- CMS Home Health Agency (HHA) Center
- Medicare HH Conditions of Participation effective 01/13/2018
- CMS Internet Only Manuals
- OASIS-D1 Update Memorandum (Revised 5/14/19)
- OASIS-D Data Set Version (effective 1/1/2019)
- OASIS-D Guidance Manual (Chapter 3 of the OASIS Guidance Manual contains item-specific guidance for each OASIS item.)
- OASIS Classification Table
- OASIS Assessment Reference Sheet
- OASIS Correction Policy (State Operations Manual, Chapter 2, Section 2202.11)
- Patient Driven Groupings Model (PDGM)
- CMS OASIS, Quality Reporting Program, iQIES and HARP YouTube Training Videos
- HH Compare
- HH Star Rating
- HH Care CAHPS
- TMF Health Quality Institute (CMS - Quality Improvement Organization)
- Home Health Quality Measures
- Palmetto Job Aid: Understanding Claim Denials with Reason Code 37253
- CMS QIES (iQIES)/QTSO
- National Pressure Injury Advisory Panel Updated Staging System
- Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (WOCN) OASIS Guidance
- CMS ICD-10 Information
- OASIS Vendor Software Information
- TX HHSC News Alerts
OASIS Education Coordinators
Lonna Davidson, RN, SMQT
Joan Mitchell, RN, COS-C
Mary Cox, RN, COS-C
OASIS Help Desk
Toll free 833-769-1945