What is a AAA?
The 28 area agencies on aging (AAA) provide services to help people age 60 and older, their family members and caregivers receive the information and assistance they need in locating and accessing community services. Services include:
- Information, referral and assistance
- Benefits counseling and legal assistance
- Care coordination
- Caregiver support services
- In-home support services
- Legal awareness
- Nutrition services
- Ombudsman Program
Services are targeted to those with greatest economic and social need. Particular attention is paid to people with low-incomes, older people who belong to minority groups and older people residing in rural areas. In addition, family members and other caregivers may receive information and services on behalf of the older person for whom they are providing care.
Contact Program Staff
Publications & Websites
- Area Agencies on Aging System of Access and Assistance poster (PDF) — includes information about the various system components, how the system helps and the activities that support the system.
- Legal Hotline for Texans poster (PDF) — telephone numbers to call informing Texans about rights, benefits or the law. (Bilingual poster)
- Map of AAAs by county (PDF) — black-and-white version of the colored poster distributed to the AAAs.
- Older Americans Act Amendments of 2006 website includes a summary of the 2006 amendments, frequently asked questions and technical assistance links.
- Public Notice: Non-Discrimination Compliance Policy poster (PDF) — fill-in poster for display within a facility or office. (Bilingual poster)
- References for AAAs (PDF)
Proposed amendments to the TAC Rule for Nutrition Services, 40 TAC Chapter 85, Rule 85.302 are available for informal stakeholder input through Sept. 18, 2020.
The following draft documents are available for review and feedback:
Statutes & Rules
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 40, Part 1, Chapter 81 Operation of the Area Agencies on Aging
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 40, Part 1, Chapter 83 Area Agency on Aging Administrative Requirements
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 40, Part 1, Chapter 85 Implementation of the Older Americans Act
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 40, Part 1, Chapter 86 National Senior Services Corps Program
- Rule Conversion Matrix
- U.S. Code, Title 42, Chapter 35: Programs for Older Americans
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 45, Chapter 13, Part 1321: Grants to State and Community Programs on Aging