This program is mandated by the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242, Subchapter N, concerning the administration of medications to facility residents, and the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 142, Subchapter B, concerning the administration of medication by a home and community support services agency.
Medication aide permitting activities are conducted by the Nursing Facility Administrator Licensing Branch (512-438-2025) and include:
- Permitting activities, including continuing education, issuance and renewal
- Approving and monitoring of medication aide training programs in educational institutions
- Developing educational, training and testing curricula
- Coordinating and administering tests
Medication aide enforcement activities are conducted by the Professional Credentialing Enforcement Unit (512-438-5495) and include:
- Coordinating referrals and due process for medication aides related to findings of misconduct and/or violation(s) of the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242 or Licensing Standards for Medication Aides at 40 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 95.
- Imposing and monitoring sanctions.
To check the status of a medication aide please see the Employability Status Check Search website and enter the medication aide's name or social security number.
The State of Texas recognizes the contributions of our military service members, their spouses, and veterans.
Military service members or veterans may have met some licensing requirements as a result of their military service or other training, knowledge, and experience. Military spouses of current, active duty military service members may also have met some licensing requirements related to this status. Modifications to renewal requirements may also be available for some military service members on active duty.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to military service members, veterans, and their families for their dedicated service to the United States of America and to the State of Texas.
Texas Medication Aides Curriculum
- Medication Aide Curriculum, Basic Course
- Medication Aide Curriculum, Basic Course — Instructor Version
All Texas Medication Aide Training Programs received password access for the course by mail. If you need a password, please contact the Medication Aide Program at 512-438-2025. Thank you.
- Medication Aide Continuing Education