HHSC licenses nursing facility administrators, and enforces professional standards.
When to Use the Online Licensing System
All licensing functions are now completed using the NFA Licensing System. This includes:
- Initial applications
- Renewal applications
- Preceptor applications
- Inactive status applications
- Name changes
- Physical/mail/email address changes
- Internship verifications
- Duplicate licenses
- License verifications
Before you can perform any licensing functions, you must register with the system. To register:
- On the NFA Licensing System homepage, click on the link that reads: "If you don't have a NFA login, please register now by clicking here."
- Complete the initial registration page and click “Register.” You must use a valid email address.
- Click "OK" to continue.
- Click on profile tab in the left menu.
- Review your personal information and save.
- To access the system, please use one of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Once you have registered, notifications, such as license renewal and preceptor seminar notices, will be sent via email.
You are responsible for keeping your personal profile information updated to ensure that you receive such notifications. If you fail to update your profile, you may not receive critical information. HHSC employees can't update your information for you.
If your license expires within the next 3 months, please complete the online renewal process.
If you need assistance with the system, please use the "Help Manual" link at the top right of the NFA Licensing website.
Check NFA Licensure Status
To check the status of an NFA license, go to the NFA Licensing System website, select "Search" and enter the NFA's name or license number and select "Search."
For a list of Certified NFA Preceptors, go to the NFA Licensing System homepage, select "Search", check the box that says “Preceptor”, and click the search button at the bottom of the page.
Veterans, Military Members and Spouses
The state of Texas recognizes the contributions of our military service members and their spouses and veterans.
Military service members or veterans may have met some licensing requirements as a result of their military service or other training, knowledge and experience. Military spouses of current, active duty military service members also may have met some licensing requirements related to this status. Modifications to renewal requirements may also be available for some military service members on active duty.
For more information regarding special licensure provisions military service members, military veterans or military spouses may qualify for, please see Senate Bill 1307, 84th Regular Legislative Session, 2015.
Military personnel and their spouses and veterans who are interested in the nursing facility administrator occupation and would like additional information regarding requirements may email email@example.com or call 512-438-2015.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to military service members, veterans, and their families for their dedicated service to the United States of America and to the state of Texas.
About HHSC NFA
Nursing facility administrator licensing activities are conducted by the HHSC NFA Licensing Branch and include:
- Validating initial and continuing education
- Providing seminars for administrators in training preceptors
- Taking licensure action to include issuance, renewal, denial or revocation
For more information, call 512-438-2015.
Professional Credentialing Enforcement
The Professional Credentialing Enforcement unit conducts NFA enforcement activities, including:
- Investigating NFA complaints or referrals resulting from findings of substandard quality of care and/or violations of the NFA standards of conduct
- Imposing and monitoring sanctions
- Producing a quarterly newsletter
- Coordinating program activities with the governor-appointed Nursing Facility Administrator Advisory Committee
For more information, call 512-438-5495.
Interested in the licensing process for assisted living facilities in Texas? Visit the How to Become an ALF Provider page to learn more.