HHS works to keep vulnerable Texans safe. We watch over and investigate children at risk for abuse, and look after adults who are vulnerable to abuse, especially aging Texans and people with disabilities.
- Adult Protective Services investigates abuse, neglect and exploitation of adults who are elderly or have disabilities.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates Inc. and Children's Advocacy Centers of Texas Inc. provide advocacy for children around the state.
- The Family Violence Program promotes self-sufficiency, safety, and long-term independence of adult victims of family violence, child victims of family violence, and victims of teen dating violence.
- Report abuse of children and older Texans or adults with disabilities that live in their community.
- Report abuse of older Texans and people with disabilities who live in long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes, assisted living facilities or state supported living centers.
- The Texas Human Trafficking Resource Center is a statewide directory connecting Health and Human Services staff, healthcare providers, stakeholders and potential victims of human trafficking to local, state and national resources to identify and help people affected by human trafficking.