The Office of the Medical Director (OMD) facilitates information about policy decisions, quality initiatives and access to health care between HHSC and the Medicaid health plans by holding quarterly medical director’s meetings. OMD participates on a number of committees and projects throughout the Health and Human Services enterprise. Information on current initiatives is listed below. For additional information please contact the Office of the Medical Director.
- Texas Health Steps- work with staff to update and review THSteps teaching Modules.
- Comprehensive Update on Medicaid and CHIP Dental Programs 2016 (PDF)
- Continuing Education - conducts annual review of Continuing Education requirements for healthcare professionals.
- Medicaid Policy Codes- Review for Children’s Mental Health Benefits codes, including Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT).
- Psychotropic Parameters Review - focuses on medicine foster children receive and approves biannual updates of the parameters.
- Review of Disability Determination
- The Vendor Drug Program’s Drug Utilization Review Board - reviews which pharmaceuticals should be included in the Medicaid formulary.
- Medicaid and Dental Policy
For current Texas Medicaid policies go to the Texas Medicaid Provider Procedures Manual.
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain - improving the way opioids are prescribed through clinical practice guidelines can ensure patients have access to safer, more effective chronic pain treatment while reducing the number of people who misuse, abuse, or overdose from these drugs.