The County Indigent Health Care Program helps low-income Texas residents who don’t qualify for other state or federal health care programs have access to health care services.
Benefits are limited to participating administrators who provide primary, preventative and some specialty services. These include:
- Medical screening services
- Annual physical examinations
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital visits
- Laboratory and radiology
- Skilled nursing facility services
Who Is Eligible for Services?
The program is available to anyone who:
- Lives in Texas.
- Has an income level at or below 21 percent of federal poverty guidelines.
- Has resources less than $2,000.
- Isn’t eligible for Medicaid.
How Do I Apply for Services?
Consult the Directory of County Contacts (PDF) to find the nearest local administrator. You may visit in person or contact the local office to speak with staff who will determine your eligibility. You may need to show proof of income and other eligibility verifications during the application process.
800-222-3986, Ext. 6467
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time
Monday through Friday
Austin Area Local Phone
General Fax Number
County Indigent Health Care Program
P.O. Box 149347
Austin, TX 78714-9347