People with disabilities have much to offer employers and their communities. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission works with employers to match them with job applicants with disabilities who can add value to a business as they live the life they want.
HHSC is announcing a free, one-day Employment First Services Training. Employment promotes a more independent living setting and creates independence for a person in many ways. This training will support this effort as another tool to increase the Employment First focus and provide better tools for providers to improve hands-on skills and increase job opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. This training will provide various elements of employment services to staff in the provider community who have a direct role in the employment process for the people being served.
- Overview of Texas Employment First Policy
- Employment services in Medicaid waivers
- Basic facts on Social Security Administration disability benefits
- Basic facts on developing an employment profile and vocational assessment
- Building connections and working with families
- Development of soft skills and job-readiness skills
- Basic overview of applications and tablets for use as job coaches
- Building and maintaining strong employer relationships
The training is specifically designed for service coordinators, employment specialists, direct care staff, day habilitation staff and job coaches who support people with set employment goals and people with direct, hands-on roles. The training is also available to local intellectual and developmental disability authority staff, state supported living centers staff and private providers such as day habilitation providers, 1915(c) waiver providers, and community-operated and state-operated intermediate care facilities for individuals with an intellectual disability or related conditions.
To receive a communication when training dates and locations are determined, email firstname.lastname@example.org.