Choosing the Consumer Directed Services option allows you more control over your program services if you're able and willing to take more responsibility for coordinating the services.
If you choose CDS, you or your designated representative will:
- Recruit, hire, manage, train and fire your employee(s) and backup employee(s) (including family, friends or neighbors).
- Set wages and benefits for your employee(s) based on a service budget created with the help of your service planning team.
- Set schedules and submit timesheets for your employee(s).
- Select a financial management services agency to:
- Help create the budget.
- Train you to hire and manage employees.
- Process your timesheets and payroll.
- Process receipts and invoices.
- Act as your agent to pay federal and state employment taxes.
CDS is available in the following programs:
- Consumer Managed Personal Assistance
- Community Attendant Services
- Community Living Support Services
- Deaf Blind Multiple Disabilities
- Family Care
- Home and Community-based Services
- Personal Care Services
- Primary Home Care
- Texas Home Living
- STAR Health - Medically Dependent Children Program
- STAR Kids
- STAR Kids - MDCP
- STAR+PLUS - Home and Community Based Services
Electronic Visit Verification
Electronic Visit Verification is a computer-based system that electronically verifies service visits happen and documents the precise time service provision begins and ends. The purpose of EVV is to verify people are receiving services authorized for their support, which the state is currently being billed.
The 21st Century Cures Act is a federal law requiring EVV for all Medicaid personal care services and home health services, including services delivered through the CDS option. To learn about the mandatory start date for EVV and your responsibilities as an employer if you choose the CDS option, visit the EVV website.