In December 2011, Texas received federal approval of an 1115 waiver that would preserve Upper Payment Limit funding under a new methodology, but allow for managed care expansion to additional areas of the state.
The purpose of the 1115 Healthcare Transformation waiver, supplemental payment funding, managed care savings, and negotiated funding will go into two statewide pools now worth $29 billion (all funds) over five years. Funding from the pools will be distributed to hospitals and other providers to support the following objectives: (1) an uncompensated care pool to reimburse for uncompensated care costs as reported in the annual waiver application/UC cost report; and (2) a Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment pool to incentivize hospitals and other providers to transform their service delivery practices to improve quality, health status, patient experience, coordination, and cost-effectiveness.
Uncompensated Care Pool Payments are designed to help offset the costs of uncompensated care provided by the hospital or other providers.
DSRIP Pool Payments are incentive payments to hospitals and other providers that develop programs or strategies to enhance access to health care, increase the quality of care, the cost-effectiveness of care provided and the health of the patients and families served.
Under the transformation waiver, eligibility to get Uncompensated Care or DSRIP payments will require participation in a regional healthcare partnership. Within a partnership, participants include governmental entities providing public funds known as intergovernmental transfers, Medicaid providers and other stakeholders. Participants will develop a regional plan identifying partners, community needs, the proposed projects, and funding distribution. Each partnership must have one anchoring entity, which acts as a primary point of contact for HHSC in the region and is responsible for seeking regional stakeholder engagement and coordinating development of a regional plan.
1115 Waiver Annual Reports
The 1115 Waiver's Standard Terms and Conditions require HHSC to submit an annual report on the waiver to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for each demonstration year.
- Budget Neutrality Financial Summary 2019 (Excel)
- Demonstration Year 7 (October 2017-September 2018) Annual Report (PDF)
- Demonstration Year 6 (October 2016-September 2017) Annual Report (PDF)
- Demonstration Year 5 (October 2015-September 2016) Annual Report (PDF)
- Demonstration Year 4 (October 2014 - September 2015) Annual Report (PDF) (8/17/16)
- Demonstration Year 3 (October 2013 - September 2014) Annual Report (PDF)
- Demonstration Year 2 (October 2012 - September 2013) Annual Report (PDF)
- Demonstration Year 1 (December 2011 - September 2012) Annual Report (PDF)
1115 Waiver Evaluation
The 1115 Waiver's Special Terms and Conditions require HHSC to select an independent external evaluator to implement the approved Evaluation Design Plan for the Waiver renewal period. The independent external evaluator will be responsible for conducting the evaluation according to the approved Evaluation Design Plan and submitting the interim and final evaluation reports. The approved Evaluation Design Plan can be found here:
1115 Evaluation Documents - Initial Approval Period
- Final documents pertaining to the required 1115(a) Texas Demonstration Waiver Evaluation Report (posted 6/1/17):
- Guidance for Potential Collaborators on Evaluating the 1115(a) Demonstration Waiver - Healthcare Transformation Quality Improvement Program (PDF) (11/12/13)
- 1115 Waiver Evaluation Plan (PDF) (2/12/2013)
- Transition Plan for Funding Pools (PDF)
- Transition Plan Attachment (PDF)
- Waiver Amendment (PDF) (Version Approved by CMS on 1/19/17)
- Regional Healthcare Partnerships Roles & Responsibilities
- Federal Approval Letter and Documents (PDF)
- Overview of Texas Health Care Transformation Waiver (PDF)
- Budget Analysis (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Texas Medicaid 1115 Waiver Proposal (PDF)
Medicaid/CHIP Quality and Efficiency Improvement Website
- HHSC has launched a Medicaid and CHIP Quality and Efficiency Improvement website to increase transparency and public reporting. Please click here to view: Medicaid and CHIP Quality and Efficiency Improvement