The provider must ensure that transportation for the participant is safe and accessible. Access to transportation must be available in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and with all applicable state laws.
Each vehicle used to transport participants must have:
- appropriate inspections and liability insurance;
- a working safety belt for each passenger;
- a first aid kit;
- a working heating and air conditioning system; and
- a working ABC fire extinguisher.
The Class ABC fire extinguisher can be used on the following three kinds of fires:
- Class A (ordinary combustibles, such as wood or paper)
- Class B (flammable liquid fires, such as grease or gasoline)
- Class C (electrical fires)
The Federal Transit Administration in Washington, D.C., has information about transportation accessibility, including small passenger vans. Contact the administration at 888-446-4511 or 800-877-8339 (TDD/Relay).