The consumer is to provide original documents that establish that the consumer is either a resident or permanent legal resident of Texas and the United States.

The consumer must present one original, unexpired document from Column A or one each from Column B and C when applying for services.

Original Documents to Be Provided by the Consumer

Column A

Column B

Column C

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (INS Form I-551)
  • Employment Authorization Card that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • For nonimmigrants authorized to work for a specific employer: a foreign passport with an Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94 or I-94A, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an unexpired endorsement of the individual's nonimmigrant status.
  • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A, indicating nonimmigrant admission under the compact of Free Association between the United States and the FSM or RMI.
  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter's registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
  • For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:
  • School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record.
  • Social Security Account Number card other than a card stating it is not valid for employment
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  • Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  • Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

Even if the consumer does not have the documents listed in this section:

  • allow the consumer to complete the application; and
  • explain that the documents are required before the CRS program can determine the consumer’s eligibility for services.

If the consumer has the documents, examine the documents presented. Expired documents cannot be accepted. If the documents are not expired, but will expire in the near future, counsel the consumer about the importance of keeping the documents up to date.

Place a copy of each document provided in the consumer’s case file. If the consumer is reluctant to allow you to make copies of the documents, or if you do not have immediate access to a copy machine, enter the following in a case note in ReHabWorks for each document examined:

  • The document’s title
  • The issuing authority
  • The document’s number (for example, a form number or driver’s license number)
  • The expiration date of the document