When scheduling an appointment for a consumer to apply for services, determine the consumer's language preference and decide whether the consumer needs a translator, interpreter services for the deaf, reasonable accommodations, and/or assignment to a specialty caseload.

The CRS program provides language services if necessary to ensure that all consumers have meaningful access to programs, services, and information.

Language services are provided at no cost to the consumer and may include:

  • spoken interpretation (over-the-phone and face-to-face);
  • written translation; and
  • sign language interpretation.

CRS program staff members must assist consumers who require language services by:

  • determining the type, amount, and cost of the language services;
  • getting approval to provide the services;
  • submitting a service authorization; and
  • documenting the need and details about the consumer’s use of the service in the consumer record. 

Additional information on how to access language services can be found at HHS Circular C-013, Health and Human Services System Language Services Policy.

Use DARS5003, Application Appointment Letter in ReHabWorks (RHW) to schedule the appointment. For instructions, see RHW Users Guide, Chapter 5 Initial Contact, 5.5 Initial Appointment. (DARS5003 is available only in RHW).

Ask the consumer to bring appropriate records to the application appointment, including:

  • a photo ID, such as driver's license, state issued ID, school ID, passport, or military ID;
  • an original Social Security card or other proof of identification, as explained in 5.3 Identification;
  • the names and addresses of two people who know how to contact the consumer;
  • the dates of medical treatment and the medical providers’ names, addresses, and phone numbers;
  • the consumer’s rehabilitation history;
  • a list of agencies from which the consumer has received services, by the time of application);
  • proof of income for the consumer and the consumer's spouse (or the consumer's parents, if the parents claim the consumer as a dependent on their federal income tax), such as copies of the latest pay stub, proof of Supplemental Security Income, proof of Social Security Disability Income, a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs award letter, or a workers' compensation Notice of Payment;
  • proof of expenses related to monthly mortgage or rental payments, prescribed diets and medicines, debts imposed by court order, and medical costs and other disability related expenses;
  • proof of medical insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare; and
  • other items that may help with the application and eligibility process.