The CRS program purchases new equipment unless it is necessary or advantageous to purchase used equipment and supplies. Used equipment is most frequently purchased because:
- new equipment is unavailable; and/or
- used equipment meets the consumer's needs and provides significant savings.
When you buy used and demonstration equipment, process the order according to the applicable procurement method, which is based on the estimated cost of the equipment.
Provide the following information in the paper case file of used goods:
- A description of the condition and value of the equipment
- A statement in the paper case file that the equipment has been examined
- Verification of inability to secure new equipment and/or substantial savings