The functional behavior assessment (FBA) analyzes a consumer's behavior in a particular environment (such as, at a post-acute rehabilitation services facility) to determine what factors are causing problem behaviors. An FBA typically takes a minimum of four hours, and is limited to a maximum of eight hours.
The FBA report summarizes data collected and provides information to assist in the planning of comprehensive rehabilitation services, such as:
- creating a detailed definition of the consumer's behavior that is causing an obstacle to rehabilitation;
- summarizing data collected;
- determining the cause for each problem behavior;
- determining the environments to avoid;
- making recommendations related to the consumer's disability; and
- making recommendations for possible intervention.
Meet with the behavior analyst and consumer to discuss the FBA results and recommendations. If intervention is necessary, develop a behavior intervention plan.