HHS has more than 50 handbooks, which outline the rules employees and contracted providers are held accountable for when providing services to eligible Texans. We provide these for all Texans to view as part of our effort to be transparent in service delivery.
Assistive Services Providers
- The Assistive Technology Trainer Guidelines and Procedures is used to prepare people who are blind to effectively use assistive technology in employment or in educational settings after high school.
- The Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Handbook outlines the general operations and procedures of the BEI general interpreter certification program and provides guidance for both current and prospective BEI-certified interpreters for people who are deaf and hard of hearing in Texas.
- The Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services Policy Manual is designed as a framework for counselors in making decisions and delivering quality services to eligible consumers.
- The Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS) Standards for Providers Manual is the official reference document of provider requirements for contracted goods and services for the CRS program.
- The Independent Living Services Standards for Providers describes steps for providing the services that help consumers live more independently.
- The Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Manual outlines procedures for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing program.
- The Standards Manual for Consumer Services Contract Providers outlines procurement standards established by the Division for Blind Services.
Contracting and Procurement
- The HHS Contract Management Handbook (PDF) establishes consistent contract management policies and procedures that must be followed by HHS agencies.
- The HHS Procurement Manual (PDF) serves as a purchasing guide for HHS agencies and establishes requirements for interface between the Procurement and Contracting Services Division of and HHS agencies for purchases conducted by PCS on behalf of the agencies.
Fair Hearings and Fraud
- Fair and Fraud Hearings Handbook includes policies, procedures, and responsibilities for handling client and contract appeals, detecting and handling potential fraud cases, and protecting the civil rights of clients.
- The Security and Accountability Handbook contains procedures for safeguarding program benefits from fraud, abuse, and misuse.
- The Guardianship Provider Handbook contains procedures relating to referrals, billing and payment, and contract monitoring for guardianship providers.
- The Guardianship Services Handbook includes policies and procedures relating to the provision of guardianship services.
Long-term Care Community-based Programs
- The Case Worker Community Care for Aged and Disabled Handbook contains eligibility criteria, policy and procedures for agency programs. HHSC provides an array of services and community supports that enable people who are elderly or who have disabilities to avoid institutionalization.
- The Case Manager In-Home and Family Support Program Handbook provides program information for persons with physical disabilities and their families. It contains policies and guidelines for applying for direct grant benefits and services that enable people who are disabled to live independently in the community.
- The Consumer Directed Services Handbook includes rules and procedures for consumers, employers, Consumer Directed Service Agency (CDSA) staff, case managers, DADS contract managers, staff and other interested parties.
- The Consumer Managed Personal Attendant Services Provider Manual provides information to licensed agencies under contract to provide personal assistance services to individuals who have physical disabilities and who are able to supervise an attendant or have someone who can supervise the attendant for them.
- The Contracting to Provide Assisted Living and Residential Care Services Handbook contains rules for administering the Residential Care Program. It is incorporated by reference as a part of the program contract.
- The Contracting to Provide Primary Home Care Services Handbook contains rules for provider agencies contracting to provide Community Care for the Aged and Disabled Primary Home Care services.
- The Contracting to Provide Special Services to Persons with Disabilities (SSPD) Handbook contains rules for adult day care facilities and other provider agencies contracting to provide SSPD and SSPD 24-hour shared attendant care.
- The Day Activity and Health Services (DAHS) Provider Manual contains rules and procedures for administering the DAHS Program. It is incorporated by reference as a part of the DAHS contract.
- The Denial or Refusal of License (DRL) contains rules that govern criminal convictions that may bar licensure for nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, adult day care facilities, intermediate care facilities for persons with intellectual disability, and home and community support services agencies (HCSSAs).
- The Emergency Response Services (ERS) Provider Manual contains rules and procedures for administering the ERS Program. It is incorporated by reference as a part of the ERS contract.
- The Home-Delivered Meals Provider Manual applies to provider agencies that receive Title XX and/or Title XIX funding and to the Title XX/Title XIX funded portion of a common provider. This document replaces the Contracting to Provide Home-Delivered Meals Handbook.
- The Local Intellectual and Developmental Disability Authority Handbook includes forms and publications for use by LA staff.
- The Medicaid Hospice Provider Manual contains policy that providers must follow when administering the program and meeting the needs of hospice recipients.
- The Medicaid Hospice Program Standards Handbook contains rules providers must follow when administrating the program and meeting the needs of hospice recipients.
- The Transition Assistance Services Orientation Handbook outlines the delivery of transition assistance services.
Long-term Care Facility-based Programs
- The Assisted Living Handbook contains forms that facilities use to coordinate services. Only forms are included in the handbook.
- The Day Activity and Health Services Requirements Handbook contains rules for facilities that contract to provide day activity and health services.
- The Employee Misconduct Registry Handbook contains rules relating to findings of abuse, neglect or exploitation of residents and misappropriation of residents' property by unlicensed direct care employees in DADS-regulated long-term care facilities.
- The Licensed Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with an Intellectual Disability or Related Conditions (ICF/IID) Provider Manual is a guide for providers contracting with the Department of Aging and Disability Services to provide 24-hour residential care and treatment services to individuals who have a diagnosis of an intellectual disability or a related condition.
- The Licensing Standards for Assisted Living Facilities Handbook contains minimum standards a facility must meet in order to be licensed as an assisted living facility. The standards serve as a basis for licensure survey activities.
- The Licensing Standards for Home and Community Support Services Agencies Handbook outlines the minimum standards that a person must meet in order to be licensed as a home and community support services agency.
- The Licensing Standards for Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with an Intellectual Disability or Related Conditions (ICFs/IID) Handbook outlines the development, establishment, and enforcement of service standards for individuals residing in intermediate care facilities for an individual with an intellectual disability or a related condition.
- The Licensing Standards for Medication Aides Handbook contains rules for administering medications to residents in long-term care facilities.
- The Licensing Standards for Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Centers Handbook contains rules for the licensing and regulation of prescribed pediatric extended care centers (PPECCs) in Texas. A PPECC provides services to individuals younger than age 21 who are medically and technologically dependent.
- The Nursing Facility Administrators Handbook contains licensure rules for administrators of nursing care facilities.
- The Nursing Facility Provider Manual provides basic information to nursing facilities certified to provide services to Medicaid recipients.
- The Nursing Facility Requirements for Licensure and Medicaid Certification Handbook specifies federal and state requirements governing licensed nursing facilities and the Medicaid Nursing Facilities program, administered by DADS in cooperation with other federal and state agencies.
- The Person-Directed Planning for State Supported Living Centers Handbook contains forms, instructions and appendixes applicable to the person-directed process used in state supported living centers in Texas.
- The Quality Monitoring Program Provider Manual includes information about the Quality Monitoring Program, nursing facility quality review process and early warning system.
- The Texas Standards for Nurse Aide Registry and Training Handbook contains information relating to the training and competency evaluation of nurse aides employed in skilled nursing facilities (Medicare) or nursing facilities (Medicaid) and the registry of nurse aides.
Long-term Care Waiver Programs
- The Case Manager Medically Dependent Children Program Handbook includes rules, policies and procedures for DADS case managers to administer the Medically Dependent Children Program.
- The Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS) Provider Manual contains rules and procedures for administering the CLASS Program. It is incorporated by reference as a part of the CLASS contract.
- The Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD) Program Manual is a guide for provider agencies contracting with DADS to serve individuals who are deaf-blind with multiple disabilities. The manual includes policy, forms, resources and links to related Internet sites.
- The Home and Community-based Services (HCS) Handbook describes the responsibilities of the local authority service coordinator and the HCS provider and explains DADS survey processes for local authorities and HCS providers.
- The Home and Community-based Service Program Billing Guidelines instruct providers on how to properly prepare and submit service claims.
- The Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP) Provider Manual includes rules and procedures for administering the MDCP Waiver. All providers of MDCP services must follow these rules and procedures in order to comply with the terms of the DADS contract.
- The Texas Home Living Program Handbook contains rules for the program, which provides essential services and supports so that Texans with intellectual disabilities can continue to live with their families or in their own homes in the community.
- The Texas Home Living Program Billing Guidelines contain billing procedures for various services, including dental treatment, adaptive aids and minor home modifications.
Medical and Social Services Handbooks
- The Breast and Cervical Cancer Services Policy and Procedure Manual contains standards and policies for eligibility, screening, case management, education, client documentation, reimbursement and evaluation.
- The Federal Assistance to Individuals and Households - Other Needs Assistance Handbook describes the policies, organization, and procedures for implementing the Other Needs Assistance provision of the Federal Assistance to Individuals and Households Program (IHP), the financial assistance program that responds to people whose needs result from natural or man-made disasters.
- The Long-term Care Medicaid for the Elderly and People with Disabilities Handbook contains policy and procedures for the Medicaid programs for people who are elderly and people with disabilities.
- The Refugee Cash Assistance Provider Manual includes rules, policies, and procedures to guide contractors in the effective administration and delivery of services funded under the Public/Private RCA program.
- The Refugee Social Services Provider Manual guides Refugee Social Services (RSS) contractors in the effective administration and delivery of services funded under the RSS program.
- The STAR Kids Handbook contains approved policies, procedures and guidance for managed care organizations and staff operating the STAR Kids program.
- The STAR+PLUS Handbook contains approved policies and procedures related to the STAR+PLUS program and STAR+PLUS waivers.
- The Texas Works Handbook contains information about the policies and procedures used to determine eligibility for SNAP, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Medical Programs for Families and Children.