Texans can dial 2-1-1 (option 6) for information on COVID-19 and local community resources on health care, utilities, food, housing and more. Wait times are currently higher than normal. More COVID-19 information.
Downloading a Form to Your Computer
Fillable forms cannot be viewed on mobile or tablet devices. Follow the steps below to download and view the form on a desktop PC or Mac.
- Right Click for PC or Ctrl + Click for Mac on the PDF link and click “Save link as” from the menu.
- Select the folder you want to save the file in and then click "Save."
- Navigate to the folder you saved the file in and Right Click for PC or Ctrl + Click for Mac, then select "Open With" from the menu and select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Note: Open the PDF file from your desktop or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Do not click on the downloaded file at the bottom of the browser since it will not open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It will try to open the file in the browser that results in the same browser error message.
If still having trouble viewing or downloading a form, click here.
- To serve as a standard, all inclusive procedure for receipting money.
- To serve as a method of controlling money from the point it is received by the agency.
- To serve as a reporting and transmittal document to HHSC Accounting.
- To serve as a tracking system for money receipts.
- To serve as a reporting document to program managers.
- To serve as a permanent record of money receipts.
When to Prepare
All money received by HHSC staff is receipted using Form 4100. "Money" includes cash, money orders, certified checks, cashier's checks, state warrants and any other negotiable instruments. Payments received by department staff in person are receipted immediately. Payments received by mail are receipted as soon as the mail is opened. Receipts are issued for checks received without signatures, checks made payable to the incorrect payee, and all other payments received by the department. The manner of processing depends upon the kind of payment received. In the absence of specific requirements, send payments to HHSC Accounting.
All money receipted must be forwarded to HHSC Accounting the same day of receipt.
How to Prepare
Prepare four copies of Form 4100. Use sufficient pressure to ensure that all copies are legible. Print all information using a ball point pen.
Original — The original receipt is given to the payor, or it may be mailed at the discretion of the appropriate regional administrator, the department director, or the program manager.
First copy — The first copy is sent to HHSC Accounting, along with the payment, if the payment has been identified as one that should be deposited directly into the state treasury.
Second copy — Program copy (casefolder).
Third copy — Do not remove. This copy must remain in the receipt book.
Payments Receipted but Not Forwarded to HHSC Accounting
Any checks or money orders which are not negotiable should be returned to the payor with instructions to provide the necessary information on the payment document. For example, checks or money orders in which one or more of the following types of information was omitted or is incorrect:
- Signature of payor.
- The name of the payee.
- Missing amount.
- Conflicting longhand and numeric amounts.
When this occurs, check the "Disposition/Other" box and enter an explanation in the space provided, such as "returned to payor — no signature." All copies of the receipt are routed as described in "Transmittal" above.
Note: When the payor resubmits the corrected payment, it is treated as a new item for receipt purposes.
Payments with a Payee Other Than the Department
If the payee is someone other than the Department, such as the Texas Department of State Health Services, the money should be forwarded, if appropriate, to the payee. If the payment is made out to an incorrect payee, it should be returned to the payor with instructions as to the correct payee. When this occurs, check the "Disposition /Other" box and enter an explanation in the space provided, such as "forwarded to Texas Department of State Health Services" or "incorrect payee — returned to payor."
Processing Incorrect Payments
If there is an error, such as a payment is for the incorrect amount, the payment is receipted and forwarded for deposit.
If for any reason a payment received cannot be processed in accordance with the prescribed procedure, the money must be receipted. The copy of the receipt sent to HHSC Accounting must be accompanied by a memorandum signed by the person administratively responsible explaining in detail the circumstances and the disposition of the money. A copy of the memorandum must be sent to the Director, Audit Division, State Office. Include in the memorandum the name of the bank on which the check was written and the town where the bank is located.
When it is necessary to void a receipt, print "VOID" on the receipt and send the original and first two copies to HHSC Accounting.
The first copy is microfilmed. Filmed copies are retained for audit purposes for three years. The second copy (program copy) is retained by the responsible program manager in accordance with the provisions outlined in appropriate program handbooks. The third copy remains in the receipt book. When all receipts in the book are completed, the book is kept in a safe place for audit purposes for three years. Minimum safeguards include storing the receipt books in a locked file cabinet.
Date — Enter the date the payment was received.
Subject to collection, this is to acknowledge receipt of $ ________ — Enter the amount of the individual payment.
Subject to verification, this leaves a balance of $________ — Enter the remaining amount due, if applicable. If not applicable, enter "N/A".
Credit to the account of — Enter the name of the recipient/individual against whose account the payment is to be credited if different from the payor. If same, enter "same." If the payment is not designated for a specific individual, list the fund or account to be credited.
SSN or PIN — Enter the Social Security number or the payment identification number of the individual against whose account the payment is to be credited.
Account No — Leave blank. This space is for state office HHSC Accounting use only.
Next Payment Due — Enter the month/day/year the next payment is due, if applicable. If not applicable, enter "N/A."
Received From — Enter the name and address of the payor. (This section is positioned on the receipt to fit a window envelope.)
Disposition — Check the appropriate box. If the "Other" box is checked, give a brief explanation in the space provided, such as "returned to payor — no signature."
For — Enter a description of what the payment is for such as:
- Medicaid restitution
- Issuing agent payment for overissuance
- Foster care refund
- Financial services administrative expense refund
- Damaged commodity income
- Commodity assessment fee
- Disaster relief grant
- Cuban refugee grant
- Indochinese grant
- Repatriated citizen grant
- Reimbursements for state-paid foster care
- Payments for care and other expenditures for non-Temporary Assistance for Needy Families foster care children
- Donation for clothing, toys, school supplies, and other miscellaneous items for children and families
- Donation for emergency needs of individuals (food, utilities, prescriptions)
- Fees received from courts for completed social studies
- Refund for overpayment to foster parents
- Medical refund from hospital or doctor (refund to the Department after Medicaid paid for services)
- Petty cash/reimbursement from bank account to pay expenses paid for by supervisors or case managers for foster children
- Document reimbursement
- Christmas donation and reimbursement
- Reimbursement for transportation of child welfare child
- Audit exception refund
- Donor fund for social services contracts
- Individual provider overpayment refund
- JTPA training reimbursements
- Social services restitution refunds
- Other social services receipts
- Reimbursement for JOBS transportation expenses
Family code — central records file fees
- Medicaid reserve collection
- Other medical refund
- Medical programs fund
- Medical programs restitution
- Child care administrator's license fee
- Examination fee
- Child care administrator's license renewal fee
Miscellaneous Cash Receipts
- University contract monies
- Vending machine income
- Coin operated telephone income
- Miscellaneous receipt from private source
- Conscience money
- Educational stipend repayment
- Lost book payment
- Sale of publication
- Sale of waste paper
- Unidentified check
- Refund of administrative expense
- Texas Youth Council — data processing service
- Texas Commission for the Blind — reimbursement for copies
- Governor's Committee on Aging — data processing service
- Reimbursement for supplies or equipment lost in shipment
- Reimbursement — Texas Department of Community Affairs
- Refund of Medicaid payment
- Reimbursement for telephone expense from county
If a payment is received which is to be credited in-part to more than one account, only one receipt is required. Reference each pertinent account in the "For" section. Multiple entries may be necessary in the "Type of Case" and "Case No." boxes.
Type Case — If applicable, enter the program affected;
Dept. — If applicable, enter the relevant Department ID.
Program — If known, enter the relevant program code. (The program should be completed by the Regional Budget Office for all receipts that are deposited into a local bank account.)
Case No. — Enter the department case number(s) assigned to the case(s). If no specific case is designated, leave blank.
Add'l No. (Additional Number) — Enter any additional numbers associated with the payment (such as Office of Inspector General case number, requisition number, payment voucher number).
Type Payment — Enter the type of payment received, such as money order, cashier's check, personal check or food coupons.
Check/M.O. No. — Enter the number of the check or money order.
Received By — The person designated as responsible for handling the receipts should sign the form.
Employee ID — Enter the responsible person's employee ID number.
Note: The employee ID number must be completed to provide a list of payments received and processed in HHSC Accounting.
Phone Number — Enter the responsible person's area code and phone number.
City/Mail Code — Enter the responsible person's city and mail code.
Note: Except for returned state warrants, each negotiable instrument to be sent to HHSC Accounting should be immediately endorsed "Pay to the Order of State Treasurer of Texas, for Deposit Only, HHSC." Return undelivered state warrants to HHSC Accounting unendorsed.