How do I sign up to participate in the Lone Star program?
To participate as a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) retailer, stores must be authorized by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Services (FNS). For more information, click here, or call 1-877-823-4369.
Stores that have not been authorized by USDA FNS may serve Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) clients by becoming a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash-only retailer. In order to participate in the delivery of TANF cash benefits, SNAP-authorized and non-SNAP retailers accepting TANF benefits must certify in writing with their third-party processor (TPP) that they comply with the Lone Star Operating Rules (LSOR) and with all State and Federal requirements related to the redemption of TANF Cash Program benefits, which includes the following:
- No more than 10% of the retailer’s gross revenue is derived from Entertainment (which is defined as the sale of alcoholic beverages, legalized games of chance, sexually oriented materials, coin-operated amusement machines or amusement services (Texas Administrative Code, Title 1, Part 15, Chapter 372, Subchapter G, RULE §372.1701));
- The retailer shall not redeem TANF Cash Program benefits for ineligible products (which are goods and services that are not necessary and essential to the welfare of children, such as alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, lottery tickets, adult entertainment, firearms, ammunition, bingo, illegal substances, etc.);
- The retailer is not a liquor store, casino, gambling casino, or other gaming establishment, or a retail establishment which provides adult-oriented entertainment in which performers disrobe or perform in an unclothed state for entertainment (as defined in Public Law 112-96, Section 408 of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 617);
- The retailer’s participation in the Texas EBT Network is a sound business decision for Texas recipients who receive TANF Cash Program benefits; and
- If a retailer changes its business model, the retailer must report the change to their TPP and submit a new signed certification statement.
A retailer who does not wish to participate in the SNAP program, but would like to accept cash benefits, may contact the TPP that provides its point-of-sale (POS) equipment to ask about participating in the TANF program.
How do I get State-supported EBT equipment and supplies?
The Agricultural Act of 2014, P.L. 113-79, only allows exempt retailers (eligible farmers' markets, direct-marketing farmers, military commissaries, non-profit cooperatives or organizations, group living arrangements, treatment centers, and prepared meal services) to qualify for free state-supported EBT equipment, supplies, and related services to participate in SNAP. All non-exempt retailers that become SNAP-authorized must pay for their own EBT equipment and services and will need to arrange for lease or purchase of EBT equipment and services through a third-party processor (TPP).
Where can I find a State-supported Retailer Agreement form?
To view or download the State-supported Retailer Agreement Form (PDF format), click here. For additional questions, call the Lone Star Retailer Help Desk (General Questions) number at 1-800-350-8533.
How many days does it take to get a State-supported point-of-sale (POS) terminal once the signed contract is received by the EBT Retailer Management contractor, JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A?
It takes up to 14 days from the day JPMorgan gets a completed and signed agreement to receive a POS terminal.
Where do I return the Lone Star EBT equipment?
Contact the Lone Star Retailer Help Desk (General Questions) number at 1-800-350-8533.
How do I request a statement?
If you are a State-supported EBT-only retailer, call the Lone Star Retailer Help Desk (EBT-only Retailer) number at 1-800-933-1754. If you are using a TPP to process EBT transactions, contact your TPP to request a statement.
How do I find an authorized SNAP EBT Third-Party Processor?
To find an authorized SNAP EBT third-party processor on the USDA-FNS website, click here.
How do I change my bank account?
If you are a State-supported retailer, call the Lone Star Retailer Help Desk (General Questions) number at 1-800-350-8533. If you are using a TPP to process EBT transactions, contact your TPP.
Who do I call if I change ownership?
To report a change in business ownership, store closure, or any other change concerning your business operation, please contact the SNAP Retailer Service Center at 1-877-823-4369.
What should I do if the customer's Lone Star Card was charged for an incorrect amount?
If you are a State-supported EBT-only retailer, call the Lone Star Retailer Help Desk (EBT-only Retailer) number at 1-800-933-1754. If you are using a TPP to process EBT transactions, contact your TPP to report the incorrect transaction amount.
What should I do if the customer's card was charged twice for one set of goods?
If you are a State-supported EBT-only retailer, call the Lone Star Retailer Help Desk (EBT-only Retailer) number at 1-800-933-1754. If you are using a TPP to process EBT transactions, contact your TPP to report the error transaction.
What number do I call for manual voucher authorizations?
Call the Retailer Help Desk (Manual Voucher Authorizations) number at 1-877-286-2858.
How do I sign up to participate in the Lone Star Program?
For information on participation as a third-party processor in the Lone Star Program, please contact the Xerox State and Local Solutions, Inc. retail operations manager at (225) 412-4661.