The local intellectual and developmental disability authority (LIDDA) is the state contracted agency that serves as the point of entry for publicly funded intellectual and developmental disability (IDD) programs. The local mental health authority (LMHA) is the state contracted agency that serves as the point of entry for publicly funded mental illness programs.
All individuals seeking entry into a nursing facility must have PASRR Level 1 (PL1) screening before admission.
Preadmission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) is a federally mandated program that is applied to all individuals seeking admission to a Medicaid-certified nursing facility, regardless of funding source.
PASRR must be administered to identify:
- individuals who have a mental illness, an intellectual disability or a developmental disability (also known as related conditions),
- the appropriateness of placement in the nursing facility, and
- the eligibility for specialized services.
The PASRR process has changed in several ways. The changes are the result of the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) directive in which corrections were identified for the Texas PASRR program. The major changes are:
- Eliminate the role of nursing facilities in the PASRR Evaluation (PE) determination process by introducing local authorities (LA) as the party that will complete the PE.
- Require specific, specialized services to be identified before nursing facility admission.
- Require an automated communication to local authorities that is triggered when a Resident Review is required.
NOTE: The PL1 is completed for every individual seeking admission to a Medicaid certified nursing facility regardless of their funding source or diagnosis.
- If the screening is positive — meaning the individual is suspected of having a mental illness, an intellectual disability or a developmental disability — the LA will complete and submit a PE within seven to 14 days, depending on the type of admission and length of stay.
- If the screening is negative — meaning the individual is not suspected of having a mental illness, an intellectual disability or a developmental disability — the nursing facility enters the PL1 into the Texas Medicaid Healthcare Partnership Long-term Care (LTC) Online portal, and the PASRR process ends for that individual.
If you need an electronic copy of the document provided at the July 15-16, 2015, training, please send an email to: LAservicecoordination@dads.state.tx.us.