Coaching Families is a training module designed to support service providers in delivering the evidence-based practice of coaching, as researched and developed by Dathan Rush and M’Lisa Shelden. This two-hour module provides foundational information on the coaching approach to service delivery, offering the opportunity to observe each of the five fundamental coaching components through video demonstrations. Through guided practice activities, providers are able to utilize a coaching fidelity checklist to assess scenarios where the coaching practice is being implemented.
Features of the module:
- Videos of service providers infused throughout to demonstrate the coaching approach
- Opportunity for growth for both new and experienced staff
- Practice activities to apply knowledge in realistic scenarios
- Individualized, learner-guided experience
Technical Assistance Tools: Materials and Resources
- The Texas Coaching Fidelity Checklist (PDF) allows a supervisor to assess a provider using the coaching approach with a parent or caregiver, during a service visit. The fidelity checklist is used to determine and measure whether the steps of the coaching practice are being implemented as intended.
- The Coaching Tip Sheet for Providers (PDF) is a quick reference guide that describes the five components of coaching, with brief reminders of the steps that a provider should consider in implementing each component. This resource can be used to prepare for a service visit, or during a visit as a provider is familiarizing themselves with the coaching approach.
- The Coaching Information Tip Sheet for Families (English PDF | Spanish PDF) offers an overview of the coaching approach and the components that a family can expect to participate in during ECI visits.