Promoting Full and Equal Business Opportunities
HHS is committed to ensuring that women, minority and service-disabled-veteran-owned businesses get a fair opportunity to compete for all contracts directly—and indirectly through subcontracting. We are focused on establishing a fair-level-playing field for all Texas businesses.
The goal of the State of Texas Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Program is to promote full and equal business opportunities for all Texas certified HUBs, to remedy disparity in state procurement and contracting.
Statewide HUB Goals
These goals are based on the 2009 State of Texas Disparity Study:
- 11.2% Heavy Construction other than Building Contracts
- 21.1% Building Construction, including General Contractors and Operative Builders' Contracts
- 32.9% Special Trade Construction Contracts
- 23.7% Professional Services Contracts
- 26.0% Other Services Contracts
- 21.1% Commodities Contracts
As part of the overall HHS business plan, HHS has developed multi-year strategies to increase HUB participation by:
- Improving communication to and support of HUB vendors
- Evaluating internal processes to improve vendor and HHS team member compliance with HUB contracting requirements
- Increasing HUB awareness and participation;
- Identifying HUB opportunities in spot purchases and other small agency purchases
- Strengthening enforcement of HUB requirements
You can find this and more on pages (pages 48-49) of the Blueprint for a Healthy Texas (PDF).
The HUB Team works closely with procurement and contracting staff to implement HUB initiatives. We encourage the use of HUBs to meet or exceed the statewide HUB Goals.
Procurement and contracting activities are evaluated to ensure compliance with HUB Program requirements. Our goal is to identify potential subcontracting opportunities, review solicitations with HUB requirements, review and approve HUB Subcontracting Plans and participate in pre-bid and post-award conferences.
We also capture expenditure data and submit it to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts for semi-annual and annual HUB reports.
Upcoming HUB Events
You can find all upcoming HHS HUB events as well as other outreach opportunities on the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts HUB Calendar of Events website.
We are available to assist staff and vendors with HUB questions and training. Please contact us if you have questions regarding:
- HUB Requirements for Contracts
- The HUB Subcontracting Plan
- Monthly Progress Assessment Reports (PARS)
- HUB Certification
- HUB Marketing/Events
- HUB Reporting
- HUB Trainings
Call (512) 406-2570 or email email@example.com.