The Office of the Ombudsman is ready to assist the public with issues or complaints about health and human services programs, agencies or personnel.

If you have a problem or complaint about a health and human services program or service, we encourage you to first discuss it with the person, program or office involved. Many times they can explain a specific policy or correct the problem immediately. If your problem or complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, there are four ways to contact our office:

  1. Call:1-877-787-8999 (toll-free).

    If you need help with accessing services under a managed care plan, you can call 1-866-566-8989 (toll-free).

    If you are a youth in foster care (up to age 18), you can call 1-844-286-0769 (toll-free) or click here to get more information about how our office can help you.

    People who have a hearing or speech disability can call any HHSC office by using the toll-free Relay Texas service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-735-2989.
  2. Online: Online Submission Form   
  3. Mail: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
    Office of the Ombudsman, MC H-700
    P O Box 13247
    Austin, TX  78711-3247
  4. Fax: 1-888-780-8099 (Toll-Free)

To Access State or Local Resources

Clients who need assistance or information about local resources or program are encouraged to call 2-1-1 for access to information about health and human services in your community including information on the location and phone number of your local agency offices.

To Report Abuse, Waste or Fraud

To report suspected waste, abuse or fraud in health and human services program including Medicaid and CHIP, please visit the HHSC Office of the Inspector General.

To Report Abuse, Neglect, Exploitation of Children or the Elderly

To report suspicions of abuse/neglect of children or abuse/neglect/exploitation of persons 65 years or older and adults with disabilities, please call toll-free, 1-800-252-5400 or visit the Department of Family and Protective Services.