If you get your Medicaid through a managed care organization, also called an MCO, and you have questions or complaints, we can help. Call 866-566-8989.

The Health and Human Services Office of the Ombudsman helps people with Medicaid managed care:

  • Navigate the managed care system
  • Understand their Medicaid coverage
  • Understand their rights
  • Advocate for themselves
  • Resolve problems, including access to care

How We Can Help

Our team is designed to help people who are already on Medicaid but need help accessing health care services. A priority is placed on individuals who have urgent or complex health care needs.
Help includes:

  • Information about your coverage
  • How to access services
  • Referrals to the right place to get help
  • Help resolving a problem

We also provide information about managed care programs to providers, health plans, community based organizations and other stakeholders.

Managed Care Resources

Have questions about Medicaid? Read our brochure: Need help with Medicaid?

Who can I call to find out which services are paid by Medicaid or if I get a bill from a Medicaid provider?

Call the statewide Medicaid Helpline at 800-335-8957.

Who can help me get a ride to my Medicaid provider?

Call Medical Transportation at 877-633-8747.

Who can I call to change my STAR or STAR+PLUS health or dental plan?

Call the Enrollment Helpline at 800-964-2777.

Who can I call about keeping my Medicaid benefits?

Call 2-1-1 or 877-541-7905.

If I am receiving help paying my medical bills and I need information about my Medically Needy Program spend down case, who can I call?

Call the statewide Medicaid Helpline at 800-335-8957.

Who can I call to find out about nursing home care, adult day care or other long-term care services and supports?

Call your local Aging and Disability Resource Center at 855-937-2372.

Who can tell me about how my other insurance affects my Medicaid benefits?

Call the Texas Medicaid Healthcare Partnership Third Party Resources Hotline at 800-846-7307.

To whom do I report Medicaid fraud, waste or abuse?

Call the Office of Inspector General at 800-436-6184.

Who can I talk to about getting help to pay my private insurance premiums?

Call the Health Insurance Premium Program Hotline at 800-440-0493.

Who can I talk to if I receive Supplemental Security Income and I need to change my address?

Call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

Who can I call if I have questions about my Medicare Rx Prescription Program?

Call 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227).

Who can I call if I use equipment for people who are hearing impaired?

Call Relay Texas at 800-735-2989.

How to Contact Us

The Office of the Ombudsman is ready to assist the public with issues or complaints about health and human services programs, agencies or personnel.

If you have a problem or complaint about a health and human services program or service, we encourage you to first discuss it with the person, program or office involved. Many times they can explain a specific policy or correct the problem immediately.

If your problem or complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, there are 4 ways to contact our office.

1. Call us toll-free

General issues

Medicaid managed care

Youth in foster care (up to age 18)
1-844-286-0769 or visit our website.

People with a hearing or speech disability
7-1-1 or 1-800-735-2989 (Relay Texas)

2. Complete an online form

Online Question or Complaint Form   

3. Mail it to us

Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Office of the Ombudsman, MC H-700
P O Box 13247
Austin, TX  78711-3247

4. Fax it to us toll-free