Under the provisions of the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, State Medicaid programs are establishing Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs. These programs provide incentive payments to health-care professionals and hospitals that meet specific eligibility requirements when they adopt, implement and meaningfully use certified electronic health record (her) technology. To be eligible for incentive programs, health-care professionals and hospitals must fall within the defined classifications and meet minimum Medicaid patient volume thresholds.
Eligible professionals and hospitals also must meet meaningful use criteria. Over time, meaningful use criteria will be broadened. Minimally, a Stage 1 meaningful user of certified EHR technology must meet these three requirements:
- Demonstrate use of certified EHR technology in a meaningful manner, including e-prescribing.
- Demonstrate connectivity to other providers to improve access to the full view of a patient’s health history.
- Use certified EHR technology to submit, in a form and manner specified by the Secretary of HHS, information on clinical quality measures and other measures.
The final rule on Stage 1 meaningful use criteria was released on July 28, 2010. It outlines what participating providers will need to do to qualify for the Medicaid EHR incentive payments. On February 23, 2012, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a proposed rule for Stage 2 requirements for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. In Stage 2, CMS expands the meaningful use of certified EHR technology.
Participating in the Texas Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) has prepared three documents to help providers participate in the EHR incentive payment program.
- Instructions for eligible professionals
- Instructions for eligible hospitals
- A spreadsheet to assist hospitals calculate their estimated incentive payment is available for download. Press “Cancel” if it asks for a password, and once open, select “Save” and specify a location on your computer for the Excel spreadsheet.
For more information on the EHR Incentive Program: