Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) is embarking on a multiyear project to expand, renovate and transform the state hospital system. State hospitals provide in-patient psychiatric care for adults, adolescents and children.
In fiscal year 2018, HHS will begin the first phase of construction and other changes designed to:
- Enhance the safety, quality of care and access to treatment for Texans with mental health issues
- Expand capacity and reduce waiting lists for inpatient psychiatric treatment, particularly for maximum security units
- Increase collaboration with potential partners, particularly higher education and health-related institutions
Comprehensive Inpatient Mental Health Plan
HHS submitted a comprehensive inpatient mental health plan to the governor and Legislature for the replacement or significant repair of state hospitals or other state-funded inpatient mental health facilities and to improve behavioral health service delivery.
Read the Comprehensive Inpatient Mental Health Plan (PDF), submitted on August 23, 2017.
- Jan. 8, 2018: HHSC announces the release of $47.7 million for inpatient psychiatric care system improvements.
- Dec. 18, 2017: The Legislative Budget Board and the governor approve the use of $47.7 million for various projects.
- Fall 2017: Funds become available.
- Fall 2017: HHSC submits initial plans for transformation of the state hospital system, including a request to expend funds.
- Aug. 23, 2017: HHS submits the Comprehensive Inpatient Mental Health Plan to the Governor and Legislature.
- Aug. 10, 2017: HHSC holds a public hearing to receive input on the state hospital system and mental health service delivery in Texas.
- June 12, 2017: Governor Abbott signs S.B. 1 into law and approves the appropriation of $300 million to HHSC for the construction or significant repair of the state hospitals.
Previous State Hospital Studies and Related Reports
- Texas Statewide Behavioral Health Strategic Plan: Fiscal Years 2017-2021
- Analysis for the Ten-Year Plan for the Provision of Services to Persons Served by State Psychiatric Hospitals
- State Hospitals and Academic Partnerships
- Planning Modern Psychiatric Care Facilities: Rusk State Hospital + Beyond (PDF)
- New Location Options for Austin State Hospital and Austin State Supported Living Center
- Recommendations for the Creation of a Comprehensive Plan for Forensic Services