I need to…

Find Long-term Care Services

Note: Click on an item below to reveal the information.

Find out how to apply for long-term care services

If you are older or have a disability, there may be some things you no longer can do for yourself. Call
1-855- 937-2372 to talk to a trained professional who can start you on the road to getting the services you need.

Call 1-877-438-5658 if you want to find out about one of these Medicaid waiver services, including interest list information:

  • Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)
  • Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
  • Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)

Call your local intellectual and developmental disability authority (LIDDA) to find out about the Home and Community-based Services (HCS) and Texas Home Living (TxHmL) Medicaid waivers.

Find a DADS local office, aging and disability resource center, area agency on aging or local authority

Get help paying for utilities, food and other items or find out how to apply for other services

Texas 2-1-1
Call 211
No matter where you live in Texas, you can dial 2-1-1, or 1-877-541-7905, and find information about resources in your local community. Whether you need help finding food or housing, child care, crisis counseling or substance abuse treatment, one number is all you need to know.

Learn about the Medicaid Estate Recovery Program and check on claims

Email: merp@dads.state.tx.us
Call for detailed information on this program. This line is answered 8 a.m. — 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Voicemail is available 24 hours a day.

Estate representatives of deceased Medicaid recipients can call this number to determine if there are other outstanding Medicaid claims against the estate.

Find a DADS service provider

Long-term Care Quality Reporting System
Find and compare long-term services and supports providers, including nursing facilities, home health agencies, adult day care and others.

Learn about Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security

A means-tested health and medical services program for certain individuals and families with low incomes and few resources.


1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
1-877-486-2048 (TTY)
A federal health insurance program that pays for hospital and medical care for certain older Americans and people who are disabled.

If you have questions about benefits, call 1-800-252-9240 to speak with your local area agency on aging.


Social Security
1-800-325-0778 (TTY)
Uses public funds to provide a degree of economic security for people who are older or who have disabilities.

Report abuse or make a complaint

Consumer Rights and Services
Report a complaint about the treatment of older Texans and people with disabilities, including people with intellectual disabilities, who receive services in facilities or from agencies regulated by DADS.


Adult Protective Services
Investigates abuse, neglect and exploitation of adults who are elderly or who have disabilities. Victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation may get short-term help with shelter, home repairs, food, transportation, managing money, medical care, home healthcare services and mental health services.


Office of the Independent Ombudsman for State Supported Living Centers
1-877-648-2233 (TTY)
Report concerns about the care someone living in a state supported living center receives.


Office of the State Long-term Care Ombudsman
Report concerns about someone living in a nursing home or assisted living facility. Also provides information and assistance in choosing the most appropriate living arrangement.


Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) Office of the Ombudsman
1-888-425-6889 (TTY)
Complaints or issues related to health and human services programs not administered by DADS.

Conduct Business with DADS

Note: Click on an item below to reveal the information.

Learn how to become a DADS provider

DADS has approximately 30 types of providers that serve people in one of three categories:

  • facility-based programs,
  • waiver programs and
  • community-based programs.

The requirements to become a provider vary for each one.

To find out what you need to do, visit the website above and click on the program in which you are interested. When the new page opens, click on the button on the right side of the screen that says, "Older adults and people with disabilities need your help. Learn how to become a provider" for details about that specific program.

Information about program enrollment, licensing and credentialing can be found in other questions on this page.

Information about enrolling as a DADS provider

For information about the DADS provider enrollment process.

Get help with credentialing

Get help with licensing

Day Activity and Health Services


Assisted Living Facilities


Home and Community Support Services Agencies


Intermediate Care Facilities


Nursing homes


Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Centers

Ask questions about provider claims

Provider Claims Services
Ensures proper and accurate service authorizations and supporting records are available for provider reimbursement.

Ask questions about Regulatory Services

Regulatory Services Division Policy, Rules and Curriculum
Supports all Regulatory Services departments in drafting policy, rules and curriculum.

Provide feedback on IDD assessment instruments

Stakeholders can email comments at any time to IDD.assessment@dads.state.tx.us.

The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) is evaluating comprehensive assessment instruments used to assess the needs of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Senate Bill 7 (83rd Regular Session) calls for people who receive IDD services from DADS get the type, intensity and range of services most appropriate to their needs, as identified by a comprehensive assessment instrument. Services may be provided through:

  • A Medicaid waiver program
  • An intermediate care facility for individuals with an intellectual disability or related conditions(ICF/IID)
  • A state-operated ICF/IID, also called a state supported living center

Self-report abuse, neglect or exploitation

Self-reporting of abuse, neglect or exploitation by licensed or certified DADS service providers
Providers who are licensed or certified by DADS must notify the agency if someone in their care has been or may be physically or mentally abused, neglected or exploited.

Verify that someone can be hired

Employability checks
To determine employability, facilities and agencies must check an applicant's criminal history, Nurse Aide Registry status and Employee Misconduct Registry status.

Find out something else

Note: Click on an item below to reveal the information.

Learn about volunteer programs and partnership opportunities

DADS Volunteer and Community Engagement Office
Phone: 1-800-889-8595
Website: http://www.dads.state.tx.us/volunteer/index.cfm
Email: VolunteerDADS@dads.state.tx.us

Contact the Volunteer and Community Engagement Office to learn about volunteer programs and partnership opportunities.

Make an open records request

Members of the News Media
Members of the news media must contact the DADS Press Office to make an open records request.


DADS Programs and Services
Fax: 512-438-5136
Email to openrecords@dads.state.tx.us
Requests related to public information about DADS programs and services except for Regulatory Services programs.


DADS Regulatory Services
Fax: 512-438-2738
Requests related to public information about licensed nursing facilities or other settings that care for people or are older or who have disabilities.

Report fraud

Texas Health and Human Services Commission Office of Inspector General
Report suspected fraud waste or abuse in Texas health and human services programs.


State Auditor's Office
Report suspected fraud, waste or abuse by state agencies, colleges and universities.

Talk to the press office (For members of the news media)

Press Office (M-F, 8-5)
Members of the news media that have questions about DADS programs and services.


Press Office (all other times)
Cecilia Cavuto


Open Records Requests

Contact DADS state office headquarters

The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) state office headquarters is located at:

701 W. 51st St.
Austin, Texas 78751
Phone: 512-438-3011

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 149030
Austin, Texas 78714-9030