The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) offers unpaid internships and practicums to enrolled college students. Internships are available at the:
- Headquarters in Austin, Texas
- Regional headquarters or local community services offices around the state
- State supported living centers for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
People majoring in finance, gerontology, medicine, psychology, social work, computer science, nursing, or physical or occupational therapy may benefit from an HHS internship.
Things to Know Before You Apply
- Research and identify your study area of interest. On the volunteer/intern application, specify "intern" and your area of interest. Students can expect initial contact from a staff member within 5 working days of submitting an application. Any additional requirements will be discussed at that time.
- It takes an average of 3 to 6 weeks from the date of the online application before an internship is finalized. Students are responsible for following up on the status of their internship request. If you have not worked out a schedule for contact with the program area manager after two weeks from the first date of contact, contact the Aging Services Coordination office at 1-800-889-8595.
- Make final arrangements with the program area manager and the university/college before scheduling service hours for the internship.