Coronavirus Updates and Resources
COVID-19 has led to outbreaks of respiratory illness in the US. The number of reported cases continues to increase. Providers of all types care for some of the most vulnerable Texans. It is important to stay up to date with all guidance and recommendations from the CDC, HHSC, DSHS and other reliable sources. Below are key resources for providers.
- Preparing for COVID-19: Long-Term Care Facilities, Nursing Homes
- Responding to Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nursing Homes
- Proper N95 Use for Respiratory Protection Preparedness
- Criteria for Return to Work for Healthcare Personnel with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Strategies to Mitigate Healthcare Personnel Staffing Shortages
- COVID-19 Homepage
- Information for Hospitals & Healthcare Professionals
- COVID-19 Local Health Authorities
NF Special Infection Control Assessments
Special Infection Control Assessment teams began conducting on-site assessments at NFs on June 11. This helped identify infection control concerns and provide immediate recommendations and guidance on infection control practices and mitigation strategies.
The FDA has issued a letter to health care providers concerning certain filtering face piece respirators manufactured in China. These respirators may not provide adequate respiratory protection to health care workers exposed to COVID-19, based on performance testing conducted by the CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. The following links provide additional information.
- Appendix A: Authorized Respirators
- Respirator Models Removed from Appendix A
- Counterfeit Respirators/Misrepresentation of NIOSH-Approval
- Additional Tips for Spotting Counterfeit Respirators
- Factors to Consider When Planning to Purchase Respirators from Another Country (Including KN95 Respirators from China)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
CMS issued an Interim Final Rule on May 6, 2020. It requires NFs to report data about COVID-19 using the CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network COVID-19 LTC Facility Module. The data reported includes:
- Suspected and confirmed COVID-19 infections among residents and staff
- Total deaths and deaths related to COVID-19 among residents and staff
- PPE and hand hygiene supplies
- Access to COVID-19 testing
- Staffing shortages
- Ventilator capacity and supplies
Center for Excellence in Aging Services and Long-Term Care
The Center for Excellence in Aging Services and Long-Term Care is a partnership between HHSC and The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing. The Center offers a web-based platform for the delivery of best practices. The focus is on geriatrics and disabilities. The content on the website has been adapted to meet the educational needs of a variety of professionals who provide care to people residing in long-term care facilities. Registration is free.
Phase V: Infection Control is now available and includes an interactive review of the key concepts of infection prevention and control in long-term care facilities.
The Center has also hosted several webinars related to COVID-19:
- Hearing Loss, Communication and Mental Health
- COVID-19 in Black America
- Infection Control and COVID-19 in LTC
The Center is seeking nominations for health care providers at the CNA, LVN, RN, and APRN levels who have provided excellent person-centered care to people living in NFs or SNFs.
Visit the Center's website for more information, including the nomination criteria and process. Nominations close June 30, 2020 at noon.
Civil Monetary Penalty Funds Available for Purchase of Communication Devices
All NFs are encouraged to apply for up to $3000 in federal CMP funds per facility. These funds are to buy communication devices to aid in connecting residents with their loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic. Use awarded funds for items such as tablets, webcams, headphones and certain accessories.
Submit completed applications to the CMP Mailbox.
Guidance to NFs on Coordination with Managed Care Organizations
NF providers are contractually required to inform a member’s MCO service coordinator of certain changes, including:
- Diagnosis of COVID-19
- Member has left the NF
- Member requests to return to the community
Follow Us on Facebook
Are you following us on Facebook? If not, like us today!