Register Now for the Quality Assurance, Performance Improvement and Resident Safety Training
Quality Monitoring Program is offering its new two-day training at locations across the state. This training provides nursing facility staff with the knowledge and skills to develop and evaluate different approaches to quality assurance, performance improvement and resident safety. Topics include the following:
- Introduction to quality assurance, performance improvement and resident safety
- Regulations and standards related to quality management in long-term care
- Quality management tools
- Patient safety and infection control
- Quality in action
- Change and organizational culture
- Evidence-based practice to improve processes and practices
- Putting the pieces together: An integrated approach to the quality program
Participants will be able to start and build on quality processes in their NFs and teach the curriculum to other staff members.
Remaining Dates and Locations:
Nov. 13-14, 2019 - Austin
Dec. 4-5, 2019 - El Paso
Dec. 18-19, 2019 - San Antonio
Jan. 8-9, 2020 - Edinburg
Feb. 5-6, 2020 - Corpus Christi
Feb. 19-20, 2020 – Houston
New Online Training Courses Available in the HHS Learning Portal
Three new QMP online training opportunities are now available in the HHS Learning Portal:
- Advanced Certified Nurse Aide Training – This comprehensive five-module online course will provide nursing facility staff with thorough and sustainable education on responsibilities related to the Advanced Certified Nursing Aide. Individual modules examine the role of the CNA in providing nursing facility rules and regulations, quality care for geriatric residents and residents with intellectual or developmental disabilities or mental illnesses, the role of CNAs in supporting resident assessments, and the safety and well-being of residents. This online course has been approved for continuing education credit for certified nurse aides. HHSC is an approved provider of certified nurse aide credit as governed by 26 TAC Chapter 556, §556.9(3)(C).
- Meaningful Engagement to Enhance Quality of Life – Designed for nursing facility activity directors, licensed nurses, certified nurse aides, and ancillary staff, this online training explains evidence-based best practices to help staff develop meaningful and relevant person-centered activity programs and implement individualized activities that reflect each resident’s preferences, customary habits, and lifestyle. This online course has been approved for continuing education credit for certified nurse aides and nursing facility directors. HHSC is an approved provider of certified nurse aide credit as governed by 26 TAC Chapter 556, §556.9 (3) and (4). HHSC is an approved provider of NF-AD credit as governed by 40 TAC Chapter 19, §19.702.
- PASRR in the Nursing Facility – A new online Preadmission Screening and Resident Review course for nursing facility staff is now available. This nine-module, comprehensive online course will provide thorough and sustainable education, information, and resources that are needed to successfully complete all NF responsibilities related to the PASRR process. In addition, this training will detail the complexities of caring for residents with intellectual or developmental disabilities, mental illness, or both.
To complete these courses, please visit the HHS Learning Portal and create a user account. After creating your account, select the provided course links and navigate the portal to find the course. Email questions to QMP@hhsc.state.tx.us.
Identifying Infection Risks and Preventing the Healthcare-associated Infections
The first line of defense against health care associated infections and the spread of germs in health care settings are professionals in the field. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now offers a new online interactive infection control training, "Let's Talk Patient Safety: Reducing HAI Transmission Risk," to help health care professionals identify infection risks and prevent the spread of HAIs. The training provides free continuing education for health care professionals, including nurses, physician assistants, medical assistants, health educators, and other clinicians.
New Online Training for Environmental Services Personnel
Environmental Services personnel play a critical role in preventing the spread of germs and health care associated infections. EVS and the Battle Against Infection is an interactive graphic novel illustrating the important role of EVS personnel in the prevention of health care associated infections. The online version of the training tool features real-world infection prevention and control scenarios and allows participants to choose options that affect the outcome of the story. EVS and the Battle Against Infection is also available as a downloadable PDF. Additionally, handouts on the CDC.gov page are also available. Use these materials to:
- Encourage the use of the EVS training tool
- Spark infection prevention and control conversations among EVS personnel
- Engage EVS personnel and promote IPC best practices
Assisted Living Facilities Incident Reporting
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission has issued Provider Letter 19-23 – Types of Incidents Providers Must Report to the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to remind assisted living facility providers of their duty to report abuse, neglect, exploitation, and certain other incidents to HHSC. Additionally, to provide examples of incident types that HHSC considers falling within requirements for an ALF to report to HHSC. This letter replaces PL 14-22.
Follow Us on Facebook
Are you following us on Facebook? If not, like us today!