September 12, 2019
Applies to: Licensed Child Care Centers, Licensed Child Care Homes
The new school year is quickly approaching! Child Care Licensing encourages you to plan for the vision and hearing screening, as applicable, to children in your program. Please see the helpful information below from our partners at the Department of State Health Services.
Licensed Child Care Centers and Licensed Child Care Homes are required by Child Care Licensing (CCL) to maintain Vision and Hearing Screening records(§746.629 and §747.633). In addition, the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) requires that your operation reports Vision and Hearing Screenings annually to their office between January 15 and June 30 each year.
- DSHS offers, no cost training and certification for your staff, so that you can conduct your own screenings.
- Screening by the child’s doctor is acceptable. Parents must provide facilities with signed written documentation from the doctor.
- A low cost Screening Service can be hired to conduct screenings on site. They must provide a copy of their screener certification card. They should document all required information for children’s records and state reporting.
Our Regional Coordinators will be able to assist:
- online reporting
- locating certification classes
- eye charts loans available to certified screeners at no cost
- audiometers loans available to certified screeners at no cost
Please visit the Vision and Hearing website to learn more about the requirements and to locate the regional coordinator nearest you, dshs.texas.gov/vhs/
If you have any questions, please email VHSSprogram@dshs.texas.gov.