September 25, 2020 - 10:00am
Microsoft Office Teams Live
Location: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this meeting will be conducted virtually using Microsoft Teams only. There is not a physical location for this meeting. Join the meeting here.
Attendees who wish to provide public comment should see the Public Comment section below.
- Call to order and introductions
- Approval of minutes from the May 31, 2019, meeting
- Update on leadership changes at the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC), including Health, Developmental and Independence Services
- Report from Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Director
- Test of English Proficiency update: Status of contracted testing sites closed due to COVID-19
- Performance testing
- Status of testing due to COVID-19
- Updates previously approved by the COVID-19 Communications team
- Exploring alternative testing options
- Rating update
- Interpreter complaints
- Office of Transformation and Innovation projects: BEI application improvement
- Stakeholder updates
- Summary of listening sessions
- August stakeholder meeting
- Certified Deaf Interpreter test update
- Adoption of revised bylaws
- General, court, and medical ethics survey results
- Subcommittee reports on the following BEI codes of ethics:
- General Interpreter Code of Ethics
- Court Interpreter Code of Ethics
- Medical Interpreter Code of Ethics
- Recommended interpreter certification levels by skillset
- Interpreter fees
- Public comment
- Next meeting planning
Public comment may be taken on any agenda item.
Public Comment: The HHSC welcomes public comments pertaining to topics related to the BEI Advisory Board. Members of the public who wish to provide public comment are asked to complete a Public Comment form here.
Members of the public are encouraged to participate in this process by providing written public comment to HHSC by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m. September 23, 2020. Please include your name and the organization you are representing, or if you are speaking as a private citizen. Written comments are limited to three minutes and will be read during the meeting for consideration by the BEI Advisory Board.
If you would like to register to provide oral comments, please mark the correct box on the Public Comment form. Instructions for providing oral comment will be emailed to you. Registration should be completed no later than 5:00 p.m. September 23, 2020. Members of the public may also use the Microsoft Teams Live Event Q&A section to submit a request to provide public comment. The request must contain your name, either the organization you are representing or that you are speaking as a private citizen, and your direct phone number.
Public comment is limited to three minutes. Each speaker must state their name and on whose behalf they are speaking (if anyone). Public members who are using handouts are asked to provide an electronic copy in accessible pdf format that will be distributed by HHS staff to the BEI Advisory Board members, State staff, and the public. Handouts are limited to two pages (paper size: 8.5” by 11”, one side only). Handouts must be emailed to HHSC immediately after registering and include the name of the person who will be commenting.
Contact: Questions regarding agenda items, content, or meeting arrangements should be directed to Lori Breslow, Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Director, HHSC, 512-410-6556, email@example.com.
This meeting is open to the public. No reservations are required, and there is no cost to attend this meeting.
People with disabilities who wish to attend the meeting and require auxiliary aids or services should contact Breslow at 512-410-6556 at least 72 hours before the meeting so appropriate arrangements can be made.